Learn to Quilt: Pt 1 – Starting With the Basics
Date of class: Mondays, June 5, 12 & 19
Time of class: 10:00-3:00
Level of students: Beginners
Maximum number of students: 10
Cost of class: $75
Machine required: Yes
Instructor: Maryfran Fettinger
Description of Class: Learn and develop the skills that every good quilter needs. Put the skills into practice and complete a small quilt top using the Sahara pattern by Villa Rosa. We’ll cover:
- the language of quilting
- the process
- reading and following the pattern
- preparing, measuring, cutting the fabric
- tips to make it all better
- getting that ¼” seam right with practice
- blocks, layouts, sashing
- Borders, backing, and binding oh my!
- the tools…what’s important and what’s nice
- And lots more
- Sewing machine with either a ¼” foot or a foot with ¼” markings. If you do not have these feet, we can mark the ¼” placement with colored tape or masking tape.
- Pattern – Sahara by Villa Rosa Designs
- 45mm rotary cutter
- Acrylic ruler: at least 6 x 18” OR 6 x 24” OR 6 ½ X 24 ½”, etc. with non-slip grippers on bottom such as Grip Strips or sand paper disks
- Cutting mat: any size that is at least larger than a fat quarter which is 18 x 22”
- Neutral color thread such as a medium gray by Aurifil or Mettler
- Seam ripper
- Machine needles, universal, size 80/12
- Spray starch or Best Press
- Optional but recommended: Quilt Basics Book 1
- Fabric: 20 5″x 22″ Strips or 10 Fat Sixths 12″x 22″ or 20-10″ Squares or half of your 40 10″ Square Pack in mediums and darks
- Background 3/4 yd; light color recommended
- Practice fabric: (2-4) 10” squares, any contrasting color to practice 1/4” seam
- Backing: 2 1/2 yards
- Binding: ½ yard
- Batting: cotton or other natural fiber
Please be familiar and comfortable with your machine prior to class. Be sure to have 1 to 2 bobbins filled with your neutral thread. Do not pre-wash fabrics unless colors choices include white with darks. Press and starch all fabric prior to class.
Print out the Class Registration Form, complete it. Either drop it off or mail it. Please remember, checks must be made payable directly to the instructors. (Note: You are not completely registered for the class until payment to the instructor has been received.)
Please… Sign up for classes at least 2 weeks in advance.
We need time to prepare kits & samples so you will be able to enjoy your class. If there is insufficient interest in a class, you will be notified of cancellation one week prior to the class. So don’t wait till the last minute to sign up for the classes you are interested in!