Learn to Quilt: Pt 2, Beyond the Basics
Date of class: Mondays, April 17 & 24, May 1 & 8
Time of class: 5:45-8:15 p.m.
Level of students: Beginners+
Maximum number of students: 10
Cost of class: $80
Machine required: Yes
Instructor: Maryfran Fettinger
Description of Class: So you’ve gotten comfortable with rotary cutting and the ¼” seam? Now what? Put the skills into practice and learn additional skills along the way. If you recently completed the Learn To Quilt, Pt. 1 class, complete the quilt you started or make a table runner. You will learn how to make at least 3 different blocks. You must have either taken a basic skills class or be comfortable with beginning skills such using a rotary cutter and sewing a ¼” seam.
Following a pattern
Blocks and sashing
Borders: measuring, piecing, pinning
How to be square…and like it!
Tips to make it all better
Backing: piece or not to piece, calculating
Quilting: Intro to different types
Binding: Straight cut, bias cut, attaching
Sewing, piecing and pressing accuracy!!! Why it’s important and when it’s not
Collecting fabric…it’s not a race, it’s a marathon!
- Sewing machine with either a ¼” foot or a foot with ¼” markings. If you do not have these feet, we can mark the ¼” placement with colored tape or masking tape.
- Pattern – Curves and Corners by Designs to Share with You.
- 45mm rotary cutter
- Acrylic ruler: 6½” x 24” plus 5½” square (to check your block size) OR 6 x 12 ruler
- Cutting mat: any size that is at least 18 X 24”
- Good quality thread for piecing in a neutral gray, such as Aurifil or Mettler. Have one to two bobbins filled.
- Quilting pins
- Seam ripper
- Machine needles, universal, size 80/12
- 505 Basting spray OR quilt basting pins
- Best Press or spray starch
- Optional Book: Quilting Essentials, Part 2
- ½ yd. of a feature print
- 5/8 yd. of a dark accent (includes enough for binding)
- 1/3 yd. of a light fabric
- Practice fabric: 2 fat quarters of any contrasting colors
- Backing: 1 yard
- Binding: see above
- Batting: ½ yard of 60” wide batting OR 60 “ of 18” wide batting for table runners
- 6” x 9” template plastic
Please be familiar and comfortable with your machine prior to class. Be sure to have 1 to 2 bobbins filled with your neutral thread. Do not pre-wash fabrics unless colors choices include white with darks. Press and lightly starch all fabric prior to class.
Print out the Class Registration Form, complete it. Either drop it off or mail it. Please remember, checks must be made payable directly to the instructors. (Note: You are not completely registered for the class until payment to the instructor has been received.)
Please… Sign up for classes at least 2 weeks in advance.
We need time to prepare kits & samples so you will be able to enjoy your class. If there is insufficient interest in a class, you will be notified of cancellation one week prior to the class. So don’t wait till the last minute to sign up for the classes you are interested in!